Mosquitoes are the most pervasive bugs found in every nook and corner. And they can be the most annoying creature whether seated indoors or outdoors. They trace and follow the trail of carbon dioxide and body heat, which humans are the biggest source of. No doubt that is the reason that these ferocious creature keeps following people everywhere. Zappers were initially called as electric discharge insect killers.
Get relief from the mosquito problem
Mosquito zappers kill these bugs by electrocution. These traps lure mosquitoes towards them and then zap them leading them to their deaths. These appliances have some kind of voltage running through them which causes the electrocution.
Zappers can be in the racket form or can be in lantern form which can be kept both indoors and outdoors. Racket mosquito zappers look like a tennis racket and instead of strings, they have wires. One needs to switch it on and wave it where there are mosquitoes and they snuff the life out of these pesky little creatures. Having lantern zapper outside ones home in the porch or balcony can be highly beneficial too. As one can see that in the morning there are several dead mosquitoes lying on the floor.
A mosquito zapper helps in keeping oneself safe from various diseases like malaria, dengue, Zika etc. Also, these zappers are completely safe without any health risk involved.
How do these zappers work?
Mosquito zappers use the positive phototaxis trait of hungry mosquitoes to use. The mosquitoes searching for a host easily gets attracted towards any form of light. This is the reason why these zappers have UV light bulbs in them. The bulb is surrounded by a wire mesh with gaps in between which allows the electric current to pass through them.
These devices usually work when connected to an electricity source either through power cord or batteries depending on their type and make.
Even if one has the best mosquito zapper installed sometimes some personal involvement is required like:
- Use the zapper during the nighttime, early mornings and late evenings as the harmful mosquitoes are most active during these times.
- Recharge the zapper daily during the day time.
- Mosquito attractants like Octenol can be used as an addition to the UV light.
- Clean the mesh and the tray of the device daily to increase the efficiency.
Things to keep in mind while buying a zapper
It can be difficult to choose the best mosquito zapper from various options available in the market. But there are some things one should consider before zeroing in on one:
- Power supply: There are several options like solar powered, rechargeable, or the one with the power cord.
- Maintenance: One should choose the alternative which can be easily maintained without much fuss.
- Durability: Check the material the body is made up of and the quality of the bulb and mesh installed. Also, choose the one of which the replacement parts are easily available.
- Usage: Select a device keeping in mind where it will be used whether indoors or outdoors.
Mosquito zappers are a most needed appliance in one’s home these days. Thanks to different pollutants and frequently changing climatic conditions one can find swarms of mosquitoes everywhere. There are many bug zappers in the market to choose from but hopefully, the discussion above will help one choose the best mosquito zapper in the market.